Strawberry Hill House
Strawberry Hill is a castle-like country house built by the writer and politician Horace Walpole, 4th Earl of Orford, between 1749 and 1776 on the River Thames near Twickenham, London.
In 1923 Strawberry Hill House came into the possession of St. Mary’s University College in Twickenham. Its use as a training centre for teachers led to disrepair.
In 2004, Strawberry Hill was included on the World Monuments Fund’s biennial list, which lists particularly important but endangered historic monuments. In 2007, the building was leased on a long-term basis to the Strawberry Hill Trust, which completed an extensive renovation work during which all damage was repaired and later installations removed.
Generous support was provided from the Heritage Lottery Fund, The World Monuments Fund, English Heritage, the local community and a number of Trusts and Foundations, £10 million was raised and the restoration of Strawberry Hill House & Garden was accomplished. It was opened to the public in October 2010 and in 2011 won the Georgian Group Award for the best restoration of an 18th century Country House and the Europa Nostra Award in 2013.
KeyIS were successfully awarded the hard services maintenance contract in 2020 by FM managing agent Darke & Taylor to undertake all the mechanical maintenance services for Strawberry Hill House. We also provide a dedicated service desk number and callout service for use in emergencies.
We have developed a bespoke maintenance programme for Strawberry Hill House which provides a flexible approach to the planned preventative maintenance, ensuring that maintenance is undertaken with no impact on the programme of events taking place throughout the year.
To establish site familiarity and develop a proactive working relationship with our client, the same dedicated mobile engineer attends site to carry out the PPM and reactive services outside of key opening times.
This maintenance regime ensures this extraordinary building upholds it’s long standing reputation as Britain’s finest example of Georgian Gothic revival architecture and home to an increasingly important collection of paintings and objects.